A lenient twist on the "item a day" craft challenge

The "item a day" craft challenge has always intrigued me. But it's a huge commitment! Lots of crafters have work, families, and other obligations that may prevent them from crafting every single day. So I decided to see if I could make 7 things a week. Let's see how long I can keep this up.

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Week 28: Random Week!

It was really hard to come up with a theme that I wanted to stick to this week.  I had a bunch of different, unrelated ideas floating around in my head that were just begging to be made.  So I went ahead and did a them-free week.  Here are the results:

Sodalite and tiger skin jasper necklace.  I mostly made the necklace itself around an idea I had to make a bail out of leather for a gemstone donut.  It's pretty rustic, but I think that suits the necklace structure well.
Peacock feather earrings with "vintage" style rhinestone dangles.  These bad boys are going to be my new default holiday party earrings. 

Labradorite and Iolite necklace with silver swirl beads.  This necklace is actually a refashion of one I had picked up years ago from Goodwill.  Originally it was just the beads on knotted cord, but the cord eventually broke and this is what I did with the stones.  I'm very happy about being able to return the necklace to weekly wear.  : )

Wire wrapped bird's nest earrings. I've made a few necklaces like these before, but I wanted to see how tiny I could make the nest.  As it turns out, with 26 ga wire you can make them pretty tiny.

Fish scale dangle earrings.  My dear work wife picked out these super cute scale-like components at Michael's.  They jingle when you wear them!  : )

Fancy jasper necklace.  I found a bunch of fancy jasper components in the clearance isle,, and decided to try my hand a just a basic one strand necklace.  I'm happy with how the colors and shapes worked together.

bead maille
The REAL reason for random week; the beaded chainmaille necklace.  A variation on the Japanese 6 in 1 weave, I used beaded eye pins to make the bulk of the weave.  I'm super pleased with how the necklace turned out,. but it took about a good five hours for me to put the whole thing together.  When I realized that "beaded chanimaille week" would take way more than a week, I moved on to other designs I'd been meaning to try out.
I'm happy to have just gotten around to some random designs.  I kept the theme-thing going for half a year, and I imagine I'll do more themes but it felt really good to just get back to "random" creation.  : )  Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment