A lenient twist on the "item a day" craft challenge

The "item a day" craft challenge has always intrigued me. But it's a huge commitment! Lots of crafters have work, families, and other obligations that may prevent them from crafting every single day. So I decided to see if I could make 7 things a week. Let's see how long I can keep this up.

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Week 17: Feathered Friends

This week I decided to give in a fully play around with feathers as a jewelry making medium.  They seem to be pretty darn popular right now, and as much as I hate birds themselves I do enjoy the different kinds and colors of feathers that have been popping up in our local craft stores.  I've used feathers a bit before, but mostly peacock feathers.  So I grabbed some bags of feathers and some stems from the floral department, where there are also super cool feathers, and got to work.  This is what I came up with:

Nothing special here, just feathers and beads.

More feathers and beads, this time with bead caps!  Ooooh.

This is where I feel like I really started to hit my stride.  Multiple feathers, bead cones, and crystals.  Now we're talking!

Just feathers and bead cones for this one, but I went with a black and white theme that I thought was pretty fun.

Again, just feathers and cones but this time with some color.  I had a great time picking out most of the feathers on these earrings from a variety of $1 floral stems I got on clearance.  Yay cheap!

These are without a doubt my favorite of the bunch.  The chains and rhinestones really did me in.  I can already tell I'm going to make about a million pairs of these for myself in different colors.  These feathers were also from the cheap-o floral stems. So hurray again!

Peacock feathers with accent feathers, bead cones, and a single crystal.  These earrings are HUGE.    I like big earrings and they're big for me; they dip past my collar bone. 
That's all for this time, but expect to see some more feathers in the future.  I didn't set out intending for all the pieces to be earrings, but once I got started I just kept going down that path.  I had so much fun with this "new to me" medium that I may try feather hair accessories or necklaces some other week.  Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment